Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley


Although President Gordon B. Hinckley was 97 years old, I still feel shocked that he is gone. He was an incredible leader who accomplished much during his ministry and he will be missed greatly. Any that had the opportunity to hear him, see him, or read his words could feel of his love for all people and of his testimony of Jesus Christ. Like many others, I feel joy for him that he is with his dear wife again. As a student at USU I watched as they came to speak at our Regional Conference and he "helped" Marjorie up the stairs by gently pushing her backside. It was a humorous and sweet display of the affection he felt for her and always so eloquently expressed. I feel blessed to have been alive during his leadership and to have benefited so greatly from his teachings and example. I know that he was a true Prophet of God and represented Jesus Christ at the head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. President Hinckley helped strengthen my testimony of Jesus Christ and my desire to be the best person that I possibly can be.


I found a great quote on another blog that I stalk by President Hinckley--the quote is a good indicator of his humility and understanding of his responsibility. As he so often did, he also encourages each of us to take our responsibilities seriously and to be better.

“This church does not belong to its President. Its head is the Lord Jesus Christ, whose name each of us has taken upon ourselves. We are all in this great endeavor together. We are here to assist our Father in His work and His glory. . . . Your obligation is as serious in your sphere of responsibility as is my obligation in my sphere. No calling in this church is small or of little consequence.” --Gordon B. Hinckley

3 comments:

Traci said...

Great quote, and I LOVE pictures of him and his wife together. They are beautiful.

The Myers Family said...

One of the things about the Hinkleys I most want to emulate is their marriage and their parenting. So I, too, appreciate the cute picture of them together. Thanks, Lisa.

Booklogged said...

We will surely miss him, won't we?