Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Citius. Altius. Fortius.

I've had the opportunity to work with the Young Women in our church doing Personal Progress and we just had our Young Women in Excellence night. We used the Olympic theme of "Citius. Altius. Fortius." (Faster. Higher. Stronger.) Faster to live the Young Women Values--Aiming Higher in our goals--and growing Stronger in our Testimonies of the Gospel.

Each of the girls got an invitation that looked like a torch.

We ate Chinese food for dinner and modified the Olympic rings to use all of the colors for the seven YW values.

We made water bottle labels--complete with Nutrition Facts saying that the water had 100% of the Daily Value of Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice & Accountability, Good Works, and Integrity.

We had tablecloths in each of the value colors.

We gave the girls who finished all of their Personal Progress requirements this year a huge gold medal with ribbons in the colors of all the value colors. They each took a few minutes to tell us what it meant to them to finish their Personal Progress.

Each of the other girls received a gold medal too and spoke about one of the value experiences or projects they had worked on during the year. The leaders acted like news/sports interviewers and asked the girls questions while they stood on the podium (shown below with my two little Olympians).

I feel very blessed to work with so many great girls and leaders. It was such a fun celebration of the work that they have done this year!

5 comments:

Linn said...

Lisa, You are the woman! Once again, I could not be more impressed! What a cute idea. Okay, did I mention I was impressed?

Kristi said...

I wish I was still in YW and I TOTALLY would have copied this idea...and TOTALLY given all the credit to you. You are a fountain of knowledge (haha...YW...knowledge...) and I LOVE all your brilliant ideas. The ward is lucky to have you and Ryan in it who give so much of your time and energy. Way to go!!

Amanda D said...

This looks like an awesome YW activity! I would have loved to do something like this when I was in. Thanks for sharing!

Sandra said...

Our ward is using the Olympic theme this year, would you be able and willing to share your torch and water label?? SLF

Lisa R.D. said...

Sandra... I'd be happy to share the files. Can you leave a comment with your email address? I'll quickly delete the comment so it won't be in cyberland for too long.