Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Daughter of a King

Today I read on a friend's blog about an activity she had attended with her daughter and it got me all pensive and weepy. That's pretty common these days... but particularly today as I anticipate going through labor and bringing another daughter into the world. As I read her insights, I was reminded of our conversation we had last night in Family Home Evening where we talked about where our baby has been waiting to come to our family and the things that she has been doing. Today I felt a little more than overwhelmed at the idea of the responsibility and opportunity that lies ahead for me and our family to raise this precious baby girl and teach her who she is and what she is capable of. I love this poem that reminds me that each one of us is a child of God with attributes and characteristics of a perfect being who loves us and wants us to succeed.

Daughter of a king

the Father's royalty
heir to His divinity
He's calling your name
to come and take your place
before His thrown
He has always known
what He created you to be
Daughter of a King

As I reflected on this, my feelings of inadequacy changed to a stronger feeling of peace knowing that I too have been blessed with abilities and strength... I know that the road will not be easy, but I can do this. I can birth this baby and take part in the marvelous miracle of creation (I am so grateful to be a woman!). I can do my best and love her and teach her and help her reach her potential. I know that I won't be perfect in any way... I'll continue to make a lot of mistakes... but I also know that I am not alone in my desire and efforts to help my children become all that they are capable of.

**Are you ever struck by the enormity of your responsibilities?
**Do you get weepy when you think about the fact that you too are a child of God?

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Lisa, I've been wondering about you a lot these past few days. Maybe I feel extra "tender" about girls because of Macie; 3 days before she died I made up a vinyl sign that said "Daughter of God." Spencer insisted we display it on her casket (even though I was a little embarrassed and critical of how I had done it) but a friend just recently told me how that made such an impact on her to see that there among all the sadness...and what an opposing/happy viewpoint that offered.

So yes, I do get weepy. We have a great responsibility in taking care of these sweet little ones. Thinking of you!!

Linn said...

Always.