Thursday, March 25, 2010

Welcome Little One

Dear Sophia Madelynn,

We are so glad you have arrived safely to our family. We had a long hard night before you were born, but you were so good and waited until the 18th of March to come (I knew that you didn't want to share your birthday with the leprechauns!). They started Pitocin the night before around 7 pm and by 3 the next morning I was still only dilated to a 3! I was very frustrated and felt like I wasn't going to make it. Dad kept encouraging me though and told me he knew that I could do it, that I was strong and was doing a great job. The monitors didn't work when we got up to walk around or when I wanted to get in the tub or sit on the ball... I was sure that would help so the contractions didn't hurt so much. The doctor and nurses needed to make sure your heartbeat was good, so I stayed in bed all night. By 4 in the morning I started having my own contractions and they finally turned off the Pitocin... then I started to dilate more quickly which was a good thing... I was pretty sure we were headed for a Cesarean birth... so I was very grateful that my body was getting ready for you to come. By 8 in the morning I had a really strong desire to push and even though I wasn't quite dilated to a 10, the doctor came in and got everything ready. You were anxious to come, and it didn't take many contractions of pushing to get you out, even though your head was turned the wrong way. When they gave you to me, I was so grateful to see that you were healthy. Dad and I were thrilled that you were finally here!

Olivia and Coleman came to visit you soon after you were born... they were so excited to finally meet you. They have been praying for you since they found out we were going to have another baby. Even before then, they prayed that Heavenly Father would send another baby to our family.... so you are an answer to their prayers (and ours!).

You are now a week old, and I am still in awe at the journey that it took for you to get here. Many years ago Dad and I went on a Pioneer Trek with the youth in our ward. We went to Martin's Cove and pulled handcarts, and each of us got to learn about someone in one of the handcart companies. I learned about my grandmother, six generations back, named Sophia Mason Crook who crossed the plains with the Willie Handcart company. She was 65 years old when she crossed--her husband had died before she left England so she went alone with one of her children. Her toes were frozen and had to be amputated... but she made it to the Salt Lake Valley. She was strong and faithful and committed to the gospel. I felt such a strong connection to Sophia during that Trek and I knew that if we were able to ever have another baby, we would name her Sophia or him Mason after her. After four years of trying to have a baby, it looked like we weren't going to be able to have any more. There were times that I was devastated and heartbroken about it, but I had finally come to feel peace with the way our family was. We had been blessed with two wonderful children and it felt like we were going to be okay the way we were.

In July of 2009 we held a reunion for the Crook family. Again I felt a strong connection to Sophia Mason Crook and was so grateful for the chance that I'd had to "get to know" her during the Trek. I felt a little sick that day, but didn't think much of it until a couple of weeks later, on July 24th--Pioneer Day--when I took a pregnancy test and found out that I was pregnant with you! It seemed so fitting to find out on Pioneer Day. I felt that you were going to be a girl and that your name would be Sophia... even though Dad wasn't sure he was ready to commit to anything until he met you.

When I was only 11 weeks along I had a pulmonary embolism and it was such a scary experience, mostly because we weren't sure how it would affect you. I took two shots of medicine each day so I wouldn't have another clot. They weren't fun, but it was worth it. Because of the high risk, we got to see a perinatologist every 6-8 weeks to make sure that you were growing and developing, which was a good comfort.

I was surprised when I went for an ultrasound at 12 weeks and they told me you were going to be a boy! It didn't feel right, but the perinatologist was certain she could see boy parts. I thought it was too early to tell, and she said that there was a chance she was wrong, but she was pretty sure. I spent the next 8 weeks getting used to the idea that you would be Mason instead of Sophia. Coleman was so excited to have a little brother--he knew you would be a great video game partner. When we had an ultrasound at 20 weeks though the nurse and perinatologist were very apologetic and explained that they had been wrong, and now they were absolutely certain that you were a girl. It was such a relief to me and just felt right. Coleman got used to the idea of having a sister (who still might be a great video-game partner) and Olivia was thrilled at the idea of having a baby sister.

After you were born they asked us what your name was... I looked at Dad and he nodded and answered "Sophia" which has been your name all along! We decided to give you the middle name of Madelynn after both of your grandmothers... my mom was named Madeline after her grandmother and Dad's mom's middle name is Lynn, so we combined the two for your middle name. I love that you are named after three women that are strong, determined, and faithful. They are great examples to me and I hope that you will learn from them as well.

In the last seven days I have learned that you are persistent, trusting, patient, vocal, peaceful, and determined. I know that in the next days, weeks, months, and years we will learn a lot more about each other. I am so glad that you came to our family... we love you!

Love,
Mom

22 comments:

Cheri said...

I have chills! Thanks for sharing. And, she is just beautiful. There's something special about having a new baby in the home.

Anonymous said...

Such an awesome story, Lisa!! I missed the stuff on Facebook last week saying you had her. I'm glad it all worked out well. That's awesome about her name. Sure is interesting how things like that happen & impress upon us.

the harpers said...

We too are excited about this sweet new addition to our big family! Congrats again--we are looking forward to meeting her in person on Saturday!

Linn said...

Absolutely beautiful post. I'm so glad your little miracle is here--she is adorable!

Mollie said...

Congratulations Lisa! She is beautiful!

Bryan and Amanda Russ said...

Thanks for sharing that beautiful story!!! I love family names and am so glad everything went well and she and you are both safely through. She is beautiful and ya'll look wonderful together

Janae said...

Hurray! Hurray! She is BEAUTIFUL!! I am so glad everything went well. Congratulations!

Rockelle said...

Beautiful Name
beautiful Baby
Beautiful MOM
Congrats lisa, and family!!!!!

Julie Pia said...

What a little beauty! So glad she's here safe and sound. Congrats you guys!

Patrice said...

Lisa - she is absolutely adorable!!! I love the story behind her name. What a legacy she has. Somehow, I need to come down and see you to bring a gift for that sweet little girl! Congrats!

Heidi said...

What a precious little girl and a sweet letter you wrote for her. I loved reading about how she got her name. Maybe we will get to meet Sophia this summer! XOXOX

Sally said...

So, so beautiful. I love her tiny mouth! What a pretty little thing she is. :)

Janene said...

so neat, Lisa! Too bad you couldn't fit some of your name as part of hers. you are strong, determined, and faithful too!

She is so precious. Thank you for sharing all of her story, and the story of her name. I feel like I know her very well already! Congrats!

Kristi said...

What a sweet letter! I have such strong feelings about naming my girls after good people, and they will always grow up knowing who they were named after. (Having grown up being named after someone myself, it has been a great strength to me!)

She is absolutely adorable and a perfect fit for the Harper family. Thanks for sharing that sweet note.

Momma Fidler said...

I too love Sophia Mason Crook and am so excited you have named her that and after your mom of course who is someone I love SO much! (That was a long sentence!) Sophia also has the best mother ever-you! Congrats to you all! Love, Dianne

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Congratulations. We are so happy for you and your family. I always wanted more children, and couldn't so I feel for you, and am so excited for you too. Enjoy her. :)

Cheristy said...

Sweet Sohia! I loved this story. I can't wait to see her!

Katie M. said...

she's pretty, lisa. Seriously! keep her away from all them boy babies. good looking girl!

we're so happy for you. Glad all is well!

emilyw said...

Congratulations you guys! She is absolutely beautiful! I really loved reading your letter/story to her. You are an amazing person, Lisa. Your family is blessed to have you.

Unknown said...

Well thanks,,,you almost had me to tears. I had to swallow many times. :) But honestly though, you are an inspiration to me on how great a mother can be.

Unknown said...

Wait..my comment doesn't look right. You did almost have me to tears (could be the clomed though :) but you have a beautiful story and it gives me hope.

Lyndsie and Daniel said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! What a miracle you have been blessed with. She is adorable.